Sunday, July 21, 2013

PB&J Mini-Muffins {made with Cherry-Rhubarb Jam}

Ever wake up earlier than necessary...and feel like baking?  Yeah, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I pour myself a nice tall cup of coffee and embrace the baking instincts.  I'm sure it's nice for the other person(s) still sleeping to wake up to the smell of not only strong fresh coffee...but muffins too.   I had just made an amazing batch of homemade cherry-rhubarb jam the other night, and was itching to find a way to incorporate it into a meal (I don't normally keep toast around).   So what would be more perfect than peanut butter & jelly...muffins??!

It's not quite "PB&J", as I didn't use peanut butter.  These sweet little minis were made with sunflower nut butter.  I was pretty impressed that they came out absolutely perfect in terms of texture and didn't stick to the pan at all!  These have no added oil or butter (other than the nut butter).   Fairly good for you, gluten-free and... YUM!   I took half on my friend's boat with me today...and the other half were devoured by my other half. ;)



Ingredients:

1 c flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose)
1/4 c almond meal/flour3/4 c brown sugar1.5 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c nut butter (I used Sun Nut butter)
1/2 c milk or water (I just used water)2 eggs3 T jam or jelly (I used home made cherry-rhubarb)

Coconut oil (for greasing).

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a mini-muffin pan with coconut oil.  Mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt.  Mix wet ingredients: milk/water, eggs, peanut butter. Stir until creamy and well combined. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Don't over work. Batter will be thick.

Reserve 1/2 c of the batter, and swirl with the jam. 

Fill each muffin cup approx half full of the first batter (non-jam).  Layer the jam-batter on top.  

Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a small knife or toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment