Sunday, January 27, 2013

WHY DOES TUNA CONTAIN SOY?!

Kroger visit 1/27/13.  Comparison of the ONLY 3 brands of canned tuna available in the store. 

Canned tuna is a great source of nutrition, as it's protein rich and high in omega-3.  It's also fairly inexpensive.  For a quick lunch, I love tuna salad on top of a spinach salad, wrapped in lettuce, kale or chard leaves, on top of an avocado or in a bell pepper.  Even for dinner, it's easy to toss in with some brown rice fusili for added protein. My problem with canned tuna...

...IS THAT IT NOW APPARENTLY ALL CONTAINS SOY!

I'm not against soy products.  I use them on a semi-regular basis.  The thing is, I don't like to be duped by buying a product that is straightforward like canned fish!  It wasn't always this way! Very important to note: IF I AM choosing to buy soy products like edamame, soy sauce or tofu, I make SURE they are organic. Why?  

85% of U.S. grown soybeans, and 59% of the wold's soybeans are genetically modified.  So, I'm going to just "assume" that with big food brands like Bumblebee, Sunkist and whatever contract manufacturer Kroger uses (likely the same sources as Bumblebee and Sunkist) are GMO.  It kind of irks me that companies advertise a product as SIMPLE as canned fish, but adds soy, a completely unnecessary ingredient!  In the past, tuna has been pure and natural, but I've lately (2011-2012) noticed soy as a new added ingredient.   Like "soy" is so flavorful anyway!? Could the companies try salt? Turmeric? Garlic or onions or a number of other possible flavor additives that are natural and not a phytoestrogen and known genetically modified crop!?  Nope. Apparently not. 

The only "mainstream" brand that I've found in grocery stores like Meijer is Polar.  In fact, I just wrote them to thank them for their commitment to "all-natural" and not adding chemicals, preservatives or soy like the other brands. Also, Trader Joe's 1/2 salt tuna is delicious and does not contain soy. Of course, there are other natural options which are much more expensive like Wild Planet Foods ($4.99 a can!). 

So, the point of this post is to promote continued awareness of what we buy and eat.   Read labels.   Know your product.  Know what is needed in a product, and what is not. i.e. SOY is not a necessary tuna ingredient.  Realize that products that you may have been using for years can reformulate and suddenly have an ingredient that you do not welcome.  And yes, I realize that the amount may be "minuscule"....but minuscule adds up when we're talking about every product in the grocery cart... 

To end on a semi-positive note, this is how I make my tuna salad: 

1 can Polar tuna or 1/2 salt Trader Joe's tuna (packed in water)
2 T organic Trader Joe's mayo -OR- if I'm feeling extra crunchy, half of an avocado instead. 
1 T minced celery
1 T minced red, green or white onion
squeeze of lemon juice
black pepper

:)




1 comment: