Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY All-Natural DoubleMint Toothpaste



If you're like me, you might be trying to avoid fluoride, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives and other junk in your toothpaste.  Also,  you've probably tried a half-dozen + natural brands and are just looking for something that tastes decent and works.   I finally gave up on switching around and found something EASY to make at home!  If you're going to pick one essential oil instead of committing to both, I recommend the PEPPERMINT.   I've experimented with a little bit of vanilla extract in here, and that's a nice taste as well.  Spearmint and vanilla by themselves were...meh.  Also, you can use 1 packet of stevia rather than the droppers. 

Disclaimer:  if you are used to using Colgate or other mainstream brands, this will taste a lot different and might take some getting used to.  If you've used Arm & Hammer or other baking soda toothpastes, you'll recognize the flavor.  




DIY All-Natural DoubleMint Toothpaste

3 Tbsp coconut oil (Vitacost)
3 Tbsp aluminum free baking soda (Bob's Red Mill)
15 drops peppermint essential oil (Now Foods)
15 drops spearmint essential oil (Now Foods)
15 drops liquid stevia (Now Foods)

Use coconut oil that is solid (room temp).  In a small mixing bowl, mix the coconut oil and baking soda, working in all the drops.  Mix well, until there are no chunks of solid coconut oil left.   I keep mine in a small Tupperware container by the sink.  To keep it sanitary, refrain from dipping your toothbrush in.  I  use a funky little cheese spreader from the 70's to apply it to my toothbrush and rinse it off afterwards.


Do me a favor - comment & let me know how you like it if you end up trying!

~Angela

Food Renegade!

1 comment:

  1. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. vegan toothpaste uk

    ReplyDelete