Friday, June 14, 2013

My Real Food Grocery Shopping List

Since I've had several people ask, here's what I generally buy during my weekly grocery stopping trip - or - make sure is in stock at home.   This is for two people, and we spend on average about $95/week and do not eat out very often.

In order of WHERE I source food:

#1 My own organic backyard garden (this time of year)!
#2 Farm Market -or-local Farmer
#3 Trader Joe's
#4 Meijer
#5 Other - Whole Foods, Kroger, Plum Market, etc.



Fresh Produce & Protein (WEEKLY):

1-2 dozen eggs (free-range)
3-5 avocados (some ripe, some firm)
1 big bunch bananas
1 big bag organic apples - OR - another fruit like kiwi, pineapple
1 bag organic white onions (used in soup bases, in rice pilafs, etc.)
2-3 heads organic garlic
1 organic, free range chicken (now found at Meijer! but I try to get from Farmers when possible)
1 block FIRM ORGANIC TOFU 
Grass Fed butter
1-2 lb carrots (whole, not baby carrots)
1 bag organic Celery hearts 
-AND- Various veggies that are on sale or look good: 
Mushrooms, most weeks
Red or green cabbage - for making ferments!
Bell Peppers
Beets
Tomatoes
Broccoli or cauliflower
Kale or other Dark Leafy Greens
Lemons
Potatoes (sweet potatoes or regular...mix it up)
Spinach or arugula (for salads)

Freezer items: 
These are not necessarily weekly, but as needed

Wild Blueberries
Organic peas
Wild Caught Shrimp
Wild Caught Cod or other White Fish
Wild Caught Salmon
Organic Yak or Lamb (local)

Pantry Items to keep in stock:
These are not necessarily weekly, but as needed

Natural peanut, almond or sunflower butter
Fair trade coffee
Raw Organic Sugar
Tea
Almonds (to make my own almond milk) - 1 lb/week
Whole Oats
Cashews, Pepitas 
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (for making dressings...just whisk together, add some herbs)
Coconut oil (great for stir frys and a body lotion)
Local Honey
BPA-free cans of organic tomato sauce, paste
Assortment of DRIED beans, garbanzo beans (Soak overnight)
Brown Rice Pasta
Rice
Herbs/spices

Specialty Items that I personally can't live without and keep on hand :)

Flax Seeds (for making my amazing knock-off Lara bars)
Dates
Sesame Seeds
Sesame oil
Tahini
Gomasio
Bee Pollen
Sea Veggies (dulse, seasonings, etc.)
Sriracha
Fish Sauce
Coconut Flour
Fresh turmeric & ginger


Notice what's NOT on the list?  ;)  milk, snack items, chips, crackers, pop, juice, ice cream (if I want that, I get my butt up and go get a cup from Treat Dreams)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment